8.14.2012

Lesson #2: Perfection

This also qualifies as a Flashback Tuesday post! Win-win!
I think the prompt for today might've actually been to do something about your childhood....but I want to post this. I was a fabulous, adorable child, just in case you were wondering.



At the camp we were staying at last week, we got to hear some pretty awesome speakers. One of them was this guy I LOVE -  I look up to him so much. His name is Boris, and he is seriously amazing.

He gave this really great message, but there's really only one part that I remember. It really stuck out to me, and I know it was something I really needed to hear...and will definitely need to remember.

Matthew 5: 48 has always bugged me.
"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is is heaven is perfect."
What kind of commandment is that?

I've never had any problems with the other commandments - they all seemed reachable. I knew that if I worked hard enough, I could conquer them. But then there was this commandment - "Be ye therefore perfect". How was I supposed to attain perfection?

I've gotten pretty worked up over this multiple times in the past, reducing  myself to a sobbing, sniffling mess over the thought that I will never be good enough.

Enter Boris.

He read this scripture and then referred us to 1 Nephi 3:7.
"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."
{emphasis added by me}

Duh! I've been hearing this scripture all my life, but I never made the connection between the two.

"Be ye perfect" is a commandment - therefore, I can attain perfection. I know I will not do it in this life, but it will come. Because of Christ's sacrifice, I can become perfect. It's just up to me to make the decision to work hard enough to do so.

via





2 comments:

  1. That's a nice new scripture for me to learn! I never really thought of it that way.. That we are commanded to be something because we are given the possibility to attain it. Very enlightening. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...